The church was founded on June 5, 1860 by a group of Swedish immigrants as the Swedish Lutheran Church of Ballytown with 31 communicant members. It became part of the Augustana Synod. In 1963, it became part of the Lutheran Church in America (LCA). Then, in 1988, it became part of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ELCA).
The cornerstone for the new church was laid on July 22, 1900. Since the founders of the congregation were Swedish immigrants, the Swedish language was used until 1924. The congregation then used the English language to encourage the growing community to come and worship at Augsburg.
Presently the church has some 384 confirmed members in the congregation.